Sunday, February 10, 2013

Day 15 - Hurry Up and Wait, Texas style!

Up at 7:00 as we prepare for the trip home.  Kelly showered as I checked the flights and sent Kris our son, a happy birthday greeting on Facebook. Wow 27! Seems like yesterday I was holding him up for the first time.

We headed up to the windjammer and ran into our "dinner team" having breakfast. We joined them and had a good laugh about, of all things, cast iron frying pans. Seems everyone has issues with these and Andrew and Dawne were not alone. I am not going to get into the details but the care & maintenance of these was fully discussed;-) You had to be there.

We said our goodbye's and headed back to the room for final packing.  The proverbial square peg in a round hole was successfully accomplished and we headed to our meeting place for disembarkation.  At 9:40 we walked off the ship for the last time this year.

Once inside the cavernous terminal building I started looking for our bags with the #23 on them. These  bags would be conveniently grouped with all the other bags tagged and sitting under the huge #23 sign. Seemed pretty straight forward and I quickly found Kelly's bag.  Unfortunately mine was nowhere to be found. I eventually checked the lost bag section and still no bag. Kelly traded places with me and away she went on a "mission". No bag so we got the cruise line folks looking as well... No bag. Arghh  As Kelly had packed all her shopping in my bag she doubled her efforts and finally found it over in section 33. It had fallen over under the imbalance of its load... Yes the Extenders were bursting! Anyway we were happy to see it! (Kelly here, I'm just glad I'm a geo-cacher as my geo-senses were in full gear! I get an FTF for this one!)

Once outside we grabbed a cab with some folks from New Jersey. Nice folks but I'll just say the cab ride was a bit long :-)

At the airport at 10:45 in plenty of time for our 12:30 departure. The AA agent was very nice and we were given some nice roomy emergency exit seats.  Through security we decided to hit Margaritaville and have a final drink before our departure.  After a little nosh we headed to the gate to see that the flight was delayed 30 minutes. No big deal as we went searching for internet access. While checking mail, FB etc. saw the UK contingent and had a brief chat on the flights. We said our second goodbyes and headed for our gate. Low and behold our flight was now delayed until 4pm local ... arghh. Oh well at least the flight issues happened going home rather than coming to the cruise. We stood in line and eventually had our flights re-booked as we could not make our final flight from Seattle to Victoria.  We had great service from the AA agent as she gave us several alternatives. We finally settled on a layover in Dallas and then continue on to Vancouver and Victoria the next morning. This gave us a decent break in Dallas and still got us home by 2:30 Monday afternoon. Works for us :-)

We boarded the plane and then sat for almost an hour as the ramp guys got dragged off to the Chicago flight that had to return to the gate. Seen this a few times in my real job:-)

Our scheduled  12:30 departure finally got airborne at 6:00 local and we were on our way to our mini vacation in Dallas, Texas. Yee Haw!  Arrived at 9pm local and after getting our hotel voucher,  we headed to the Marriott North. Checked in and I am now blogging from the bar :-) (Kelly here. I'm into the Margarita's....again!)

Tomorrow we leave at 10:30 a.m. and should be home by 3 p.m.... subject to any further delays of course. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMg, I loved reading this. I could not stop laughing.. OK ok ok , now I know about the care and maintenance of cast iron things (still not using one though heheeh). I still have not mastered the folding thing, Ill save that for my semi-retired husband. He will now be named the master folder hehehehehehhe. We had a great time with you guys, You two are absolute dolls. Andrew and I still think you need to do Panama in 2014, get some of your Canadian friends to join us!

    ReplyDelete